Monday, June 29, 2009

Should I change or Should I not !!!!

Everybody has his/her weakness, and I am no exception to it. And talking about them I have a long list. I am arrogant, I am talkative, I am egoist, I am way too informal, and I don't usually give a damn about those whom I dislike.

But then the good thing is that I know about all these negative traits of mine, so after listening to a lot many suggestions from people about whom I do care, I thought why don't I try to change myself. To change myself into a normal being who listens to and agrees to a lot many things he/she knows are incorrect, who doesn't laugh at some-one even if he/she is saying or doing something utter crap. Now one cann't change oneself in a night so from past 3-4 years I was trying to have these traits in myself. As of now I have been able to change myself so much so that if some-body is giving some crappish gyan I just manage to have a smile without uttering a word(as far as I can resist).

But then some-how I began realizing that no matter how hard you are trying to improve yourself, you will always have people criticizing you for one thing or the other, and if you are restricting yourself from making comments on others then you will find a lot many people passing them on you, and of-course the Public is there to laugh at every such opportunity without even trying to figure out who was the dumber one.

And more-ever no matter how much you have improved, or how much CIVILIZED you have became, they will always come out with dialogues like "you anyways never accept anybody else's view" or "don't talk with him, he never agrees" or something else like that, and when you are actually taking pain of changing your-self just because you don't want your closed ones to feel hurt.(Though I understand that it must be happening quite a few times and I sincerely apolize for the same). So its then that you actually feel hurt, you feel like killing youself coz you are trying to be like NORMAL guys and you are constraining yourself from saying something that may hurt them.

Now, the dillema that I face now is that whether the effort that I am trying to put in changing myself from being myself to a NORMAL guy is actually worth the juice.
And I don't think that it actually is.
I am already feeling that I have lost the touch of magnificient spontaneity and God like confidence which allowed me to be care-free even one hour prior to the board exam, playing cricket and dreaming, which allowed me to be a hope of the school in case of any improptu occasion where a speech had to be given or a thought to be read.
Plus atleast I didn't feel bad when some-one came out with the same dialogues I described earlier coz I knew that this was the way I wanted to be.

With the negatives of this change discussed lets come to the positive ones.
You feel good that you are changing, yes the feeling of doing something is actually good. People who knew you from long time get surprised when they see the new you and this feeling is as good as the earlier one. And the last and the most important one though probablity of hurting your beloved ones is there in both conditions its much less if you are NORMAL.

And though I don't care much about it, but yeah a lot many people start coming in contact with you, thus giving an illusion of a larger and hence better (not for me) friend circle.

Now plzzz if anyone of you can suggest which way should I go, I will be really glad.

4 comments:

gitanjali said...

ha ha.good one. I have felt the same way too. Tell me if Im right:Are you trying to change yourself for the people around you? Maybe thats why there is so much resistance. Maybe you ought to change yourself, only if you feel good about doing it. Never force yourself into doing something you resent..and again, you just cannot please everybody. When one crowd is happy with you and celebrate you, there will always be another crowd screaming for your downfall. So I just think you ought to be yourself and love yourself for it :)

Ranjeet Pratap Singh said...

@ Gitanjali ...

And I thought I was alone :D

This is a truth that one just can't please everybody, but then we do want to please some special bodies (I mean the frnds :P)

but then one thing which I've learned from all this "If you have the power, you are right".

@ billa
So you read blogs ... WoW...

and thanx for ur appreciation but hey, not all my frnds are fools ...
and this list includes you :P

Unknown said...

ppl change all the time..change happens...but the moot point here is, it seems that u think that u need to change from what is "you" to something that's "NORMAL"..now, what's that?..who defines normal?...and why would u think that what u already are, isn't normal?..:)

see, its our differences which makes us who we are..and thats the beauty of it all...u might have a million differences with other people, but what makes u unique is.."you"...its all about your way of looking at things, and interpreting them the way YOU want to which matters...there is no right or wrong in life...its all about being happy being what you are...and not hurting someone else in the process...so unless and until u r plannning to rob a bank or something, dont change!...

PS-listen to "be yourself" by enrique...on a very high volume...should do the trick!!:)

Shivani said...

Hey it seems like its not you but I,who has written this post, seriously..!
It replicates my feeling and dilemma, totally.
Even I tried to change myself in some way or the other for the betterment. If I be direct to someone they consider me rude and arrogant. If I do take my owns decisions and do act the way I want to ,they think its useless to suggest her anything, she won't listen and much more of this kind. Sometimes, I feel their perception is wrong and the other time I feel as if I am wrong. Donno may be a bit of improvement from both sides. :)
Anyway, nice post :)