Saturday, September 5, 2009

A few good movies I watched in last week.

Mughal-e-Azam :

I first saw this movie a few days back, and from that day(which ain't more than a month back), I have already watched this movie at-least a dozen times and am sure that I would be watching it a couple of dozen times more in coming days. And this is when I rarely see a movie twice, and have never ever seen a movie thrice i.e. except for this one.
From the very moment the movie starts, it is just perfect. The actors, the music, the plot and add to that the madhubala ; man, I haven't saw anybody or anything like that, she is the most beautiful scene my eyes have ever seen.

My verdict : An outright classic. 10/10
Who should watch it : If you are a fan of beauty, or a person who watches movies more with his heart than with his heart, music lovers for some of the greatest songs filmed in Indian movie industry, who want to watch how a movie can be so good that a critic like me isn't able to find a flaw in it.
Who shouldn't watch it : People who think bollywood is all about masala movies or copying hollywood.

12 Angry men :

I watched this black and white classic today, a movie which has been almost entirely shot in one room, except for two small scenes, a movie in which no names are used except for the two names used in the last scene, a movie which basically has 12 characters, all having almost the same screen time and still it is able to do justice to all of them.
imdb rank 7, this movie is a great watch for all those who are willing to watch it patiently for a hour and half, the movie builds excellently upon a very simple plot based on some of the greatest performances in the history of hollywood, the role of Juror(jury no. 8) played by Henry Fonda is the 28'th best role ever played according to bfi.

My verdict : A slow moving classic. 8.5/10
Who should watch it : People who have actually seen a good number of hollywood movies, who can patiently see the movie and enjoy the performances.
Who shouldn't watch it : People who prefer fast paced movies over slow n sensible ones.[ho, ho, ho I belong to this category]

Psycho:

Considered among the greatest horror movies of all times is another masterpiece from Alfred Hitchcock, a fast paced movie which captures the attention of the viewer from the word go and is able to shake him/her at a few times, I am not a big horror/suspense movie fan but still it was an enjoyable experience.

My verdict : A good n fast paced movie. 8.5/10
Who should watch it : Horror/suspense/thrill movie fans, people who want to see one of the most talked about scene in hollywood history "the bathroom scene".
Who shouldn't watched it : guys(n gals) with weak hearts, people who hate horror/thrill/suspense.

P.S. = > These are my personal opinions and don't necessarily agree with the critics reviews.
May be I will be writing about more movies and you shall notice that scoring a 8.5 on my scale is actually an accomplishment :P .

0 comments: